Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Fullname of Bangkok

Finally I stepped out of my house for school. Went out in full gear - wore two pieces of tops with sweater and wrapped in overcoat, covered my head and ear in cap, protected my fingers with gloves, wore sport shoes with double socks to warm my toes, not forgetting a shawl to protect my neck. Yup I was easily mistaken for a walking snowgirl -_-' Good thing that my overcoat was purple, not white!

Thought I was safe in those? Think again! The wind was real strong that it actually penetratead my thick jeans! My skin felt real painful being brushed by the strength of the wind -_-' I'm NOT going out EVER! of course it aint true... I really wonder how people could ever live in Alaska!

Recently, I discovered an amazing fact from my newly found Thai friend - the complete full name of Bangkok in Thai. We all know that Bangkok is commonly pronounced as Krung Thep in Thai, however, as matter of fact, it's only the abbreviation.

The ceremonial name of Bangkok is:
Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit


which translates as:
The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn.


This is certified as the longest place name in the world in the Guinness book of records. My friend took 25secs to pronounce the damn thing!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

im baaackkkk!!!

-fiomoe