Shanghainese food are well-known for its oily and sweetness, which probably explains why I hadn't been looking forward to it despite the good reviews on several famous Shanghai restaurants.
Many things happen unexpectedly this week. One of them was dinner at two famous Shanghai restaurants - 1221 and Shanghai Uncle. I was pretty skeptical initially, but the great reviews has turned on my adventurous mode.
Reviews on 1221 have never been disappointing. Almost all the online sites - frommers, smart shanghai, lonely planet, city weekend, shonline - has regarded 1221 as a must-visit restaurant. First step into the restaurant and all I could see was blond hairs! The restaurant was filled with expats and ONLY expats! I believe my table was the only Asian table.
The food turned out fine, not sweet though a little bit oily. The place is pretty cramped though, thus it was pretty noisy. I wouldn't recommend it for a nice dinner for 2, but it was a good experience though.
Shanghai Uncle, on the other hand, was fantastic. The food was great, not oily nor sweet at all! It comes with large portion too! Best to dine in group of 4, else there'd be plenty leftover. Service was fast and excellent. Great ambience as well. Price was pretty fine. Inexpensive fine dining experience! RECOMMENDED!
0 comments:
Post a Comment