Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The First Evening of 24

Dear invited me to a simple yet elegant dinner celebration at our fave restaurant, The Sage. Walking in to the restaurant made me realized why this place is special for us -this is where we hold most of our memorable events, such as first Christmas date, first anniversary, proposal, and now my birthday dinner.

It's difficult to get bored of The Sage. First of all, the menu changes periodically. Even for the same menu, the food art is always new. Bravo to the creativity and dynamism. Secondly, I can't help but to applaud on the professionalism of the server yet the warmth personal touch they give to each customers. Last, the food is non-questionable -flavorsome, sophisticated, artistic and best of all -affordable. This place gets my no.1 vote for French fine dining.

Down to our evening experience..















Complimentary green pea mousse with lemon zest and caviar.

Strong flavor of green pea with subtle hint of lemon. The caviar neutralizes the flavor of green pea and makes this dish totally refreshing! Perfect as starter.
















First dish on the list is pan-seared duck foie gras with roasted Granny Smith apple mille-feuille crusted with walnuts, fig compote and spiced glaze of port wine and balsamico.

The foie gras itself is crusty yet soft with its own flavor. The sourness of apple sauce and sweetness of port wine make this dish interesting to experience on its own. Every bite produces different taste depending on the amount of sauce that you put in!















My soup dish was veloute of butternut pumpkin topped with pistachio froth, confit of foie gras and Navel orange marmalade.

Pumpkin soup is one of my favorite soup dishes. Coupled with confit of foie gras? BEST! The soup itself is creamy and thick with strong hint of sweetness of orange marmalade, while the confit of foie gras is too creamy on its own. Take them together and you find the best combination of pumpkin soup with foie gras! The sweetness of the hot soup blends perfectly with the confit of foie gras causing it to melt in your mouth!















Dear's soup dish is chestnut mousseline topped with double boiled consommé of oxtail, parmentier of oxtail meat with shavings of black truffle.

I didn't know that chestnut goes well with oxtail until I tried this! The first layer at the bottom is the chestnut mousse, the second layer is the oxtail soup while the top layer is milk froth. Mix them together and....... *speechless*! I would say it's complicatedly interesting. Imagine sweetness of chestnut mix with oxtail soup. Funny? Yes, but apparently the chef was able to pull it, not only well, but perfectly well! The oxtail meat is hard and tasty on its own, but taking it with the soup apparently neutralizes the strong favor of the soup and makes it easier and more enjoyable to savor.

Oh by the way, did I mention that I love the visual display of the soup?















Finally my main: charcoal grilled U.S. Black Angus beef sirloin resting on pommes gratin topped with horseradish cream, glazed vegetables with smoked bacon and jus gras

We ordered this dish in our previous visit, however; this time it comes differently! I mentioned that the chef is creative didn't I? The meat, cooked rare as per my preference, is juicy sweet tender and succulent on its own. The sauce smoothen the succulent taste of the meat. On top of the change in the visual display, it has additional Brussels sprouts with smoked bacon which has completely opposite taste to the meat. Its strong saltness acts like ginger to clear the palette and... VOILA!! You're ready for the next piece of the meat!















Dear's main: Australian grain fed lamb short loin with a cassoulet of summer beans scented with garlic, thyme and lardons, crispy Parmigiano Reggiano and carrot puree

The lamb, cooked rare as to dear preference, is interestingly tender and succulent! The flavor of thyme has overridden the strong scent of lamb. Bland carrot puree helps to ease the meaty taste and sweetness of the summer beans helps to neutralize the flavor. So far, this is the best lamb dish I have ever tried -with no strong scent of lamb at all!

Our satisfied look says it all!















*mmmm... I'm in Heaven... :p















YUMMY! *hehhehe...

We are both too filled after the whole course to eat desserts. This is the first time we skip desserts. Even Misa, the captain, was surprised! So I requested for the bill.

She then returned with ....















A chocolate cake with happy birthday stand!

Apparently, dear has made arrangement with Kimberly on this. It's a piece of thick dark chocolate cake, complimentary from The Sage for my birthday. Lucky we didn't order desserts!















Praying and thanking God for His wonderful blessings on me, and requesting for special wish..




















*fooh.. blowing candle..

Dear asked if I like this small surprise.. in fact, I love this simple sweet surprise from dear. This is one of the reasons why I love him dearly. His thoughts and actions on these small little things touch me.. Dear's doing massage for me when I'm tired, fetching me after whole day work, sending my blazers for laundry, cooking good meal for me when I'm in lousy mood, especially arrange a shopping day for me on weekends and other countless small little things..

All these little things he does add on to great love he has for me. I love you hubby..

and I wish to myself: HAPPY BIRTHDAY :)

0 comments: