I honestly think HR-s don't read cover letters! It's all about emailing to the right person! Quoting from 'What Colour is Your Parachute', the function of HR-s is to eliminate you! So why bother to send to them?!
From my experiences, I realized that all my interviews are due to my emailing strategy. Although I did tweak and fiddle with my CV, but hell, I don't think it's anything impressive still.
For example, I emailed LVMH three times -different positions though- and only got a reply on my THIRD email. Why? Because I didn't mail to hr@blablabla or recruit@blablabla or careers@blablabla.. I don't think they'd have chance to find my application as there'd be hundreds of applications inside that mailbox. Instead, I sent my CV to the HR's direct email, which I managed to find after weeks of thorough, extensive, restless research!
Anyway, I finally gotten a job -after two weeks! Yup, pretty fast eh? I'm kinda surprised myself.. It's non-engineering field -and you'd be wondering what the hell I am doing in non-engineering field with an engineering cert. Well I'm plain uninterested -and why did I take engineering in the first place.. I'm sure I have shared my view on that before..
So this is how it happened. First, I sent an email to the HR and cc-ed it to GM's office. 15mins later, the HR called and arranged for an interview the next morning. I came, took an inventory test, passed (partly luck, partly fate, partly analytical skill), chatted with HR who then passed me to my current direct supervisor for second interview -that's fast! Another interview, another talk, briefing of jobs description, another introduction..
The next morning, sent thank you letter and again convinced them how keen I am to join 'em. 4hrs later, they rang me up and offered me the position -the power of thank-you letter Accepted and went down straight to sign contract -!that's EXPRESS!
Now, I'm suddenly busy. Monday orientation, Tuesday PR application, Wednesday officially start work.. And the rest, needless to say..
3 comments:
monaaaa.. =D
yipppeee... =D so, do i get heavily discounted price if i buy from you?? hahahahha =) just kidding! (although wouldn't mind if it's possible :P)
anyway, congratulation!!! =) so, how's ur first day at work? make sure u're having lots of fun too while being pretty overloaded with new things, which i believe u most likely will be =)
cover letters are bs I couldnt agree more. I think good opp. came from networking and confidence in ur skill. I think cov.let are kinda like sneak preview of who u r, which the hr guys will be using to 'flick thru' mountainful of job applications.
and yeah, finding their direct mail definitely works much better, coz they would read it longer than when they flick thru cover letters
oh well congratz nway !!!
i don't think cover letter is value added either.
it is just so extra....
Post a Comment