Friday, August 26, 2005

Something to Think About

Ever wondered about what are you looking for in this life? Or perhaps what do you want to achieve in life by the end of the day? I believe that these questions have ever crossed your mind -definitely not only once..

I often wondered about this and eventually asked myself: what exactly am I looking for in life.. Is it success? glory? wealth? happiness? family? salvation? Happiness is perhaps too generic to define. Again, I asked myself, what leads to happy life? what will bring happiness to me?

The young-naive me emphasized heavily on success and fame. Being raised up in a family with a nu qiang ren mom, I idolized and once hoped to be like my mom. Back then, I regard my mom as a successful capable woman. I aimed to surpass her capability and success.. That was during my teenage days..

However, I began to view things in different ways after my mom's death. Her death was itself a misfortune to my family, and yet there were more to come. Throughout these four enriching years, I came to learn that there are more to life than success, fame and wealth..

True enough, we're living in realistic world. I honestly admit that I do have a certain expectation of portrait of my future. This is my way of thanking my parents for raising me up and providing me with good educations. I want to show them that their efforts are not gone to waste :p

But again -back to the main topic -what is it exactly that I want to have in life? I guess it's something that I need to ponder upon..

My cousin lost her dad when she was 16. Her mom was too weak to face the fact and thus ran away from reality for 5years, grieving upon her husband's death. This situation forced my cousin to take charge of the household administrations and carry a responsibility beyond what a normal 16years old teenage could ever imagined. Life wasn't easy for her back then.

This experience turned her into a strong career woman. She became a highly self-disciplined person with strong leadership skill. Her works are always excellent as she's very careful and focus in everything that she does. Once you pass a task to her, you can rest assured that everything is taken care of.

One day, I asked my cousin about what she's looking for in life. I made few guesses between success and fame, or perhaps family. However, her answer was far than what I could think of. She told me that she is looking for a togetherness. When I asked for the definition, she explained how she viewed her career as a mere tool of providing bread to the family. Climbing corporate ladder is not her main goal as she wishes to spend more time with her family -mom, husband and children..

She shared with me her dreams of having a happy family with her mom around, living a peaceful life with good health. She expressed how she hopes to raise her children and provide them with necessary guidance throughout their lives -as a child, teenage or adult.. and etc..

Her answer strucked me in awe and kept me speechless for a moment. All I did, in the end, was nodding in admiration and gave her my blessing. Her aim in life was so simple and yet so beautiful..

Currently, I am still in the midst of looking for the answer; and I'm confident that I'd come across it one day.. Perhaps then I'd share with you all, my dear friends, my view of life..

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Mona, life is something you search continuously for... It's your own life and we should each live it out the way we like it to be! To me, family is still the most important since they will be behind you all the way in times of sadness and happiness!

Zen said...

hey :) just happen to read yer blog. how r u?

I've tought about finding happiness in life for a while back... and I would like to share my viewpoint with you.

You see, my brother is half-deaf. He used to have low self-esteem and is v. quiet. (He cant even order burgers in mc. D back then!) To him, happiness might meant to have a normal ear. To not have to wear those devices that dangles in his ear everyday. To be able to woke up in the morning by hearing a normal alarm clock, not depending on me, or any other person in the house.

I realized, at one point when he's about 13-17 yr old, for some reason unknown, he's sorta able to embrace the fact that he's born that way. And from that point on, he started to make a lot of friends, and now he's as 'normal' as any other boy I know. He's funny, he's talkative, his english is a bit out of place but hes getting there.

Ive never for once, seen him felt unhappy about his inability to hear like a normal person again. Not in the past few years..

I think, happiness is not about 'finding' something. Or 'reaching' for something. Or 'attaining' something. If wealth and glory makes you happy, what if u cant reach it? If your family is what makes you happy, what if u lose them? etc..

What I am trying to say is... I've felt that finding happiness is more than holding on to your family, or cherishing good moments with your friends, or obtaining wealth, glory, or fame. It's a wee bit more elusive than that.

You see, I'm now bombarded with so fucking much assignment I hardly have time to chat with my brother. Much less find time to chase girls or enjoy my time in pubs with friends and stuff. But I understood that this is my final year in uni. It's hard, it's heavy-duty, and it's very time consuming. To me, understanding that that is the life I need to carry till my graduation is the fact that brings me, not happiness as such, but a sense of ... 'firmness' that keeps me from not being sad.

Ultimately I know, by the end of this semester I'll be grinning like mad. But I refrain myself from saying... "not doing work is what would make me happy right now"...

shit... this is TOO long for a comment, isnt it???

:p

ms s loveridge said...

Mona!!! =D
Came across your blog from Zen's blog link.. I randomly picked one of the archive from your blog and came across this really interesting post..
Have to agree with Zen, happiness is not about achieving/finding something...
In our life, most of us will have short-term goals which we think will bring us to the happiness that we all want to find... We keep on working hard to achieve one goal and then another and another and so on.. The list goes on and on while the truth is, the happiness is right within us...
To me, happiness is the very state of mind where you accept and feel 'content' with what you currently have... =)

Mona said...

Great comments guys! :) Thanks :)

Haha.. I just read this blog again after Shelvia posted the comment. Somehow, I missed the previous two posts :)

I appreciate that guys :) Thank you..

It gives me something to ponder upon ;)